Have lower back pain, neck pain and spasm with a jerk. No neurological disorder. Treatment?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Last summer I had moderate/severe lower back pain that continued for one to two months. During this time, I began having lower back spasms, mostly when lying in a supine position. The spasms are very strong in the lower back and hip area that give my body a very strong single jerk. This can repeat seconds later. The jerks change when I am in different postures, Although the back pain has been gone for more than four or five months, the spasms(?) still happen every single day. My neck spasms as well causing my head to wobble for several seconds. Sometimes my head jerks/turns to the side suddenly.
I am 29, female, caucasian, good health, 5'10", 128 lbs, nonsmoker, no history of illegal drugs, have a drink or two about once a month. No history of seizures or other neurological disorders. Have worked as a dental hygienist for 7 years, a concern is that I may have been exposed to the Epstein-Barr virus. Several years ago I went to a chiropractor. She told me that my spine is extremely flat and does not curve.
Could the jerking be a side effect of medications (taking 6 prescriptions), a muscular reaction from the back pain and could be treated with muscle relaxers, injury to my spine, signs of a neurological disorder like multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's, Lyme disease? No history of MS or Parkinson's in my family.
Do these sounds like spasms or tremors? What, if any, diagnostic tests should I discuss with my physician first? I understand there are many possibilities and you can't diagnose me over the internet but I would like to know which are the first line scenarios to focus on first with my physician.
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

Your lower back pain and neck pain seems to be due to muscle spasm most probably mechenical in nature (bad posture, continous strain etc.).

You can discuss to your physcian for xray of neck and lower spine to rule out any arthritic changes.

You need regular neck and lower back strengthening exercises to strengthen muscle around neck and lower back and to relieve the spasm.

You can take oral muscle relaxant after prescription by your doctor to relieve the spasm. Doing hot fomatation and applying muscle relaxant gel will also helps to relieve the spasm and pain.

Hope this will helps you . Please write back if you have any more concern

Wishing you healthy life.

Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic surgeon.