Have lower abdominal discomfort, slight blood tinge in vaginal mucus and diarrhea. Prescribed cipro and flagyl. Should I be scared?

Excellent

Rheumatologist
Question
I have lower abdominal discomfort, slight blood tinge in vaginal mucus, intermittent diarhea. Went to dr and she did pelvic exam said things looked normal. Felt it might be diverticulitis. Gave me cipro and flagyl. Had reaction. At urgent care dr stopped Meds and thought maybe some gastroenteritis that was resolving, no new Meds. Now I had blood tinge in mucus pluse still have intermitent diarhea which is a little better. Should I be scared? I am 52 and skipping periods irrationally.
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into the problem I will like to tell you that looking into present scenario in my opinion there is nothing significant to be scared about .

Since you are 52 years now you are approaching menopause so in perimenopausal period menstrual irregularities and some spotting can occur ocasionally . Your gynaecologist has examined you and if she feels everything is normal then just follow her advise .

Your loose motions can be just acute gastroenteritis which is resolving now . Take a prebiotic and probiotic supplement , add curd to your diet . Avoid hot and spicy food for some time , prefer bland food for some days , you will be fine .

Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Have lower abdominal discomfort, slight blood tinge in vaginal mucus and diarrhea. Prescribed cipro and flagyl. Should I be scared? 17 minutes later
Thank you for responding. I was curious how long it takes for acute gastroenteritis to resolve. And how long I should expect stomach discomfort. Also, when this began I had alot of gurgling thru my abdomen. That is mostly gone now. Is that normal with gastroenteritis? Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for reverting back.

Well it generally takes 5-7 days for complete resolution of both loose motions and abdominal discomfort . Yes gurgling of abdomen is common with gastroenteritis .

Wish you a good health .

Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Have lower abdominal discomfort, slight blood tinge in vaginal mucus and diarrhea. Prescribed cipro and flagyl. Should I be scared? 18 hours later
Thank Doctor for responding. My symptoms have been going on for about 12 days. Today i had one loose movement and one more formed and normal color. When I use toilet paper there is some mucus. Can this also be normal? I am keeping to bland diet you suggested and also taking yogurt and probiotic. I do appreciate all your help. It is very reassuring.

Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for reverting back.

Since you had a drug reaction with cipro and flagyl it may have prolonged the course . Looking into the present scene I dont feel there is any thing to worry . I think you should continue to advised treatment and hope it resolves in 1-2 days . Mucus can be rarely present but if blood comes there is an issue to worry .

Dr.Shruti