Have low hemoglobin, got operated twice due to accident. Have prostate problem and hip replacement. Cause?

Question
my grandfathers haemoglobin is 3.7.he was operated two times in last two years because of accident..and the reason for decline in haemoglobin is not diagnosed.
he is having prostrate problem but did not operate.
he got his hip replaced two times in past two years.
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get Anemia profile blood test

Detailed Answer:

It is really difficult to pin point the reason for such a low hemoglobin. However I would order Anemia profile blood test for your grandfather, that helps in understand the nature of the problem causing the drop in Hemoglobin.

It includes CBC, Serum Ferritin, Transferrin saturation, Serum Vitamin B12 and Folic acid. Do you have a recent test report of these?

Yes the operation would not be indicated for such a low hemoglobin. The chances of error are high.

Awaiting for your answer.

Follow-up: Have low hemoglobin, got operated twice due to accident. Have prostate problem and hip replacement. Cause? 2 days later
now he is admitted in hospital
he is being given blood
am very worried
what can be the possible reasons for such a low haemoglobin?
can it be fatal

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
General condition is not good

Detailed Answer:

They would prefer to give Packed cells. He should slowly recover. Once he recovers the reasons for low hemoglobin would be investigated. It could blood loss, nutritional commonly at this age. It needs a thorough investigation.

One such investigation that helps is anemia profile. The other that I would commonly suggest are stool microscopy. Some doctors routinely suggest endoscopy and colonoscopy as well to check if there is blood loss anywhere in the gut.

Do not worry now, let him recover, if hemoglobin is coming back to 7gm then the danger zone is passed.

Thank you.

Follow-up: Have low hemoglobin, got operated twice due to accident. Have prostate problem and hip replacement. Cause? 17 days later
hello sir,

sorry i culdnt reply you back
actually my grandfather was given 4 bottles of blood last week
but now again his haemoglobin has dropped down to 5.9
there is a lot of tension
the reason for blood level falling is not beeing detected
now the doctors have told us to do bone marrow test
can u tell me wat it is and what can be deected from it?
how is the test done
what is the cost
nd basically what can be detected
plzz reply sir

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bone marrow test is very important

Detailed Answer:
It helps to detect the root cause of fall in the hemoglobin from origin of the blood cells. It helps to detect leukemia (common term blood cancer)

I am not aware of the cost of it.

They pierce needle into the core of the bone (where marrow lies) and remove the content and send it for testing.

Let me know the results. I can explain it further.

Follow-up: Have low hemoglobin, got operated twice due to accident. Have prostate problem and hip replacement. Cause? 3 days later
hello sir
the reports of bone marrow test have come but the doctors are not showing that
hey hav sent it to ranbaxy delhi
the just said that RBC's are not beeing manufactured in blood

and he is having Myeloid hyper plasia

now what is this
is this curable
for how long will he survive
please tell me everything related to this as soon as possible

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
The details are not clear for an opinion

Detailed Answer:
The questions that you had put forward have no definite answers as the nature of the problem is not clear. You had not shared enough of report with me. I am sorry about that.

Myeloid hyperplasia is just one factor and does not understand if there is a disease or not. We need a lot of answers like morphologic information on the cell lines in the bone marrow, Myeloid and Erythroid ratio presence of any blast cells.

Even when you bring this information to me I would not be able to comment you the next step as that would be out of my expertise, I would refer you to a Hematologist or Hemato-Oncologist.

Follow-up: Have low hemoglobin, got operated twice due to accident. Have prostate problem and hip replacement. Cause? 1 hour later
okay thankyou so much sir

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please close and rate the discussion

Detailed Answer:
I will be available for any support that you need during the course of illness or treatment for your grand father.

You can utilize it as professional support. For now you may close our discussion here.