Have low grade fever along with extreme fatigue. Mono spot test positive. Any ideas?

I have had low grade fevers for 6 months along with extreme fatigue. . I have also had a positive mono spot test, but am negative for Epstein bar. I used to have a high white blood cell count but now its normal. Any ideas what this is? Also negative XXXXXXX Thanks!
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 3 days later
Yes, lupus is a possibility, but with a negative XXXXXXX it is ruled out.
Other is a chronic fatigue syndrome or fibromyalgia. However, generally fever is not a part of the syndrome. How are your inflammatory markers like ESR and CRP?

Other possibilities are thyroid disorders or chronic infections like hepatitis B or C.
Therefore, these should definitely be ruled out.

Please also get your vitamin D and B 12 levels done.

If these are negative, then fibromyalgia needs to be worked on by medication and graded exercises.
Follow-up: Have low grade fever along with extreme fatigue. Mono spot test positive. Any ideas? 18 hours later
Both my ESR and CRP are elevated. Thyroid was normal and hepatitis b and c was negative. Vitamin d and b12 are both normal. So then do you think its chronic fatigue and/or fibromyalgia? Could it be anything else?
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 2 hours later
Yes chronic fatigue syndrome is more likely as most of your features fit in that.
So some medication but more importantly graded exercises and behavioral therapy should help you.

Discuss with your treating doctor about these options and let me know if you need further clarifications.