Have low back pain. Pain in buttocks radiating to legs. Walking painful. Reason?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hello, quite out of the blue, I experienced lower right back pain two days ago which kept increasing and reached a critical peak yesterday. Today is diminished somewhat but missed work because it involved extensive driving. I thought it was related to my Crohns but as it turns out it isn't. The symptoms include pain in my buttock radiating down in my right leg especially when I straighten my leg or try to lift it in a straight position. Also walking is painful because I can't quite lift my right leg to stride as my left. putting on my socks is nearly impossible. What might have happened here? thanks
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Might be due to a pinched nerve.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Your symptoms are typically suggestive of Lumbar disc disease with radiculopathy. This implies that a protruded intervertebral disc in the lumbar spine is compressing over a nerve root leading to pain going down from buttock into the leg.

An MRI scan of the lumbar spine will establish the diagnosis.

The initial management of this condition is always by conservative means -

* avoid lifting heavy weights as it imparts more strain on your back
* avoid forward bending activities as it will worsen the disc protrusion
* Use a lumbosacral back support to augment your spinal muscles
* Intermittent pelvic traction to cause a regression of disc
* Maintain optimum body weight,if you are obese
* Physiotherapy to strengthen your back muscles. Physiotherapy has to be done only after the acute pain has subsided.
* Judicious use of analgesics and muscle relaxants.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further.