Have lot of red spot next to clitoris, very painful to touch. Cause?

I have a red very painful spot next to my clitoris. It is NOT a bump and is NOT a pustulated, just red and very painful to the touch. This has happened before and it's typically before my period and lasts a few days. I feel totally fine other wise.
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Women Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Inflamed hair follicle is likely.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The red very painful spot near the clitoris could be an inflamed gland or an ingrown hair. The infection in the area and pain can be triggered by shaving the area near the periods.
Most of the times it can be relived by hot fomentation and local antibiotic cream like Neosporin. Taking a mild pain killer like ibuprofen will also help. In case there is a visible swelling and the pain persists then oral antibiotics may be needed to control the infection after an examination.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.