Have loss of appetite, dry mouth ,cold feet and calves at night. What is going on?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My feet and calves are very cold particularly at night and keep me awake for ages with stiffness and restlessness.I Also have lost my appetite and have a dry mouth with no desire to eat.
Posted Fri, 25 Jan 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Cold calves and feet are often a symptom of poor circulation and there can be many causes.A common cause of poor leg circulation is peripheral vascular disease, or PVD.

The most important treatment for poor leg circulation is to address the risk factors:

* Avoid cigarette smoking if you are smoker.
* Keep your blood pressure under control.
* Keep your cholesterol levels in the healthy range.
* Exercise on a regular and frequent basis.
* Keep moving – avoid staying immobile for long periods of time
* Keep your feet and extremities warm.
* Wear graduated compression hosiery and socks that help stimulate leg circulation.

Loss of appetite could indicate some more serious things like tuberculosis, low thyroid function, diseases of the heart or lungs or liver problem.

So I would suggest getting this evaluated by a physician nearby for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.

Hope this information helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.