Have little lump halfway down the vertebrae. Is this something serious?

My 13 year old daughter has a lump half down her back on the vertebrae and I am concerned. She says that it doesn't hurt. I am panicking that it could be something serious. Any suggestions? She is healthy otherwise but does have some clicking in her heals which happens from time to time.
Posted Sun, 21 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 hours later
Thanks for the query

Can you tell me the exact location of the lump, its size and for how much time it had been there? what about size, is it increasing or the same? any discoloration? also feel the temperature over the lump.

Will be waiting for your response
Follow-up: Have little lump halfway down the vertebrae. Is this something serious? 39 hours later
The location is about 2 inches under her bra strap. It is about the size of a nickel. I just noticed it this week, so it's hard to say how long it has been there. There is a slight discoloration on the skin, which resembles a bruise, but is not painful to touch. There is no noticeable difference in temperature on the lump. Is it possible that it could just be her spine...what I mean if it is possible that her spine protrudes out more then most people? When she bends down her spine is very pronounced...not in just that area, but also in the lower parts of her spine. Thank-you for your reply.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 24 minutes later
Thanks for the reply.

There are many possibilities of lump on that area. The most common are pilonidal or episacral cyst and lipoma. however this a critical area as some spinal tumor also arise at this area there neurosurgical consultation is recommended to rule out any serious complication. cyst or lipoma can be simply excised.

if you still have some query, feel free to ask