Have less height. Is there any way to grow a few more inches?

Hello Doctor,

I am Logesh. I am 28 yrs old. My height is 5 feet 4 inches. Is there any way to grow by few more inches? I am really feeling very bad and its now growing as inferior complex in my mind. Kindly suggest even if there is any 1% of chance.

Thanks in advance,
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 30 minutes later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     28 year old male
•     Complaints of: nervousness.
•     Concern related to short height

Mr Logesh I can understand your pain. But height growth occur till the age 19 years in male. Height increases due to growth at the end of bone called epiphysial plate (cartilage). It ossify and fuse with the bone around 19 year of age. So, you can understand, after that increase in the growth is not possible.

Having short or long height is only relative term. We compare our self from the people in our surrounding. Every Indian is short compare to English (6+height). Chinese people have height around 5 feet. So, it is not good to tell yourself short. (remember XXXXXXX as role model who played for several years with long players (6+) with great success)

Following measures will help:
-Accept yourself as you are.
-Wear high healed shoes. It will increase height for 2 inch.
-There are several preparation advertised to increase height. Do not believe in that and do not use them.
-One orthopeadic surgical procedure called Illizarove technique is effective in increasing height. But it is costly, painful, complicated and very time consuming procedure.

Final message to you: Do not worry, follow above advice and accept yourself as you are.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Have less height. Is there any way to grow a few more inches? 1 hour later
Dear Doctor,

Thank you for the reply and kind advice. Hope I will do better concentrating on my positive strengths.

Thanks and Regards,
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 5 hours later