Have large irregular shaped lump on the outside of thigh. Concerned

Hi. My 11 year old daughter has a large (approx 6 inches) irregular shaped lump on the outside of her left thigh. We have noticed for about 6 months. It has been growing slowly. It is above the knee and recently she thinks she fell on it because an ugly bruise appeared that discolored the lump. It took 4 days for the bruise to go away. It is also getting less squishy.
She has never complained about pain but the size is little frightening.
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later

A six inches lump on thigh of a 11 yr old is of concern to me. We should investigate it immediately to find out if it is a tumor or not. This includes physician evaluation, Xrays and may be an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of the thigh.

Even if it is a tumor timely management may save her limb.

Please feel free to contact me again with additional information.

Follow-up: Have large irregular shaped lump on the outside of thigh. Concerned 39 hours later
my daughter has hashimoto's disease and is not on thyroid medicine. Do you think that this growth could have to do with her Hashimoto's disease.
I took her to the doctor and they made an appointment with the pediatric surgeon to schedule the surgery. The doctor said it could be either a lipoma or some type of cyst but without a biopsy a definitive diagnosis can not be made.
Also, the doctor pulled me aside an expressed her concern over the size of my daughter's thyroid/goiter.
We had an appointment scheduled with the endocrinologist already for the end of the month. The doctor indicated that the two could be related.
My question is . . . how can they be related?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

I don't see how the thyroid disease can be related to a lipoma or cyst in the thigh.
But I am happy to hear that benign disease like lipoma or cyst are thought of clinically rather than malignancy. There are easily curable by surgery. I agree that a biopsy is required but malignant tumors feel different than a lipoma/cyst.

Best wishes.