Have itchy red bumps on hands and fingers. Started getting scabs all over body. Solution?

I have little red bumps that appear on mainly my hands and fingers only. They itch and have remained for months and are increasing. Additionally I get small scabs all over my body for no apparent reason including mainly my legs, arms, and buttocks.
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 40 minutes later
Thanks for sharing you concern with us.
From the description it seems you could be having scabies. Other possibility could be contact dermatitis.
I would like to know if the lesions involve wrist, fingers, web spaces, groins, genitals chest abdomen etc
If other members in family or co residents suffer from similar problem
If lesions itch more in night

Hoping to hear from you soon.
Follow-up: Have itchy red bumps on hands and fingers. Started getting scabs all over body. Solution? 9 minutes later
I Live alone. And that just seems weird to me that it would only really occur on my hands. Is there any way I could send you pictures?
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 4 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
Yes, you can upload the image of concerned areas. Either upload them on clicking the upload image/ report icon or you can send them to YYYY@YYYY . Mention ATTN Dr Kalpana Pathak in subject line.
Kindly read the queries I put forth and answer them specifically. Mention the sites involved specifically esp if finger web spaces or genitals are involved and if there is any nocturnal itch.
Follow-up: Have itchy red bumps on hands and fingers. Started getting scabs all over body. Solution? 19 minutes later
I sent an email including attachments of my hand where there is the most affliction. There is no issue with my Jachells, and it only has afflicted my hands and fingers. Does scabs however have appeared mainly on my legs and butt talks and additionally I have woke up a few times with something that appears to be a bruise on an arm and then additionally another week a different cruise on a different arm.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 21 hours later
After seeing the image attached, I think you could be having scabies or contact dermatitis. The differentiation can only be made after clinically examining the lesions. Nevertheless I would advise one time application of 5 percent permethrin cream over whole body below neck overnight followed by a proper bath next morning( this has to be done once only). From next day onward start applying any steroid cream twice in a day over the lesions. Also take tablet cetirizine twice in a day. Hopefully in a week you will notice desirable response.
After a week let me know about the response. I shall be available for follow up.