Have itchy penis after protected sex which goes after washing. Is it infection or smegma collection?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
i am a male 46years old.had protected sex with a worker.this was 3 weeks ago.the condom was fully intact.now i feel slight itching on the penis foreskin.there is no discharge or burning or any other symtom only a slight itch which goes after washing with water.the itching is little more in the morning after waking up.what could it be?is it an infection or smegma collection?
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Candidal infection Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for writing in to XXXXXXX Itching under the foreskin could be due to mild Candidal Infection (Candidal Balanitis). I would advice that you visit a nearby dermatologist for a visual examination however Judging from your query it seems most likely to be a case of Candidal Balanitis. I would want to test you for blood sugar since it has happened on its own in your case and seems unrelated to the last sexual contact. If i were your treating doctor i would have asked you to apply a topical clotrimazole cream twice daiy for 7 days. Single stat dose of oral fluconazole is also the treatment for a candial infection(Balanitis). Your dermatologist might choose to give you either topical cream or oral fluconazole or both. Even if the sexual contact was protected and completely safe but you still need to undergo HIV,VDRL testing as well as pre-test and post-test counselling. take care regards dr. kakkar

Follow-up: Have itchy penis after protected sex which goes after washing. Is it infection or smegma collection? 29 minutes later
Which cream should I apply.please suggest some medicine so that I would not have to visit a doc.is it ok if I have normal sex at home since the itch is very slight.is it infectious.can I apply candid cream.thanks

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: clotrimazole cream twice dailyX 7 days Detailed Answer: hi. Yes you can apply clotrimazole cream (candid cream) twice daily for a week. Avoid unprotected sexual contact for a week since you might infect your partner. You can engage in protected sex though. take care regards. dr. kakkar