Have itchy lump on the helix part of the ear. What could this be?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Hi, my daughter is 8 months old and has had a lump on the helix part of the ear since she was born. At first it never bothered her but now she scratches it constantly until it bleeds. Now I'm noticing a little bit of fluid coming from underneath. What could this be??
Posted Sun, 18 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 6 hours later
Welcome to Health care magic.
Regarding your baby's ear problem thee are 2 possibilities.
1-there is itching due to eczema like changes of the skin and because of scratching the skin oozes.
2- infection of the ear cartilage called perichondritis.
Please get the opinion by a dermatologist so that the child can be treated appropriately. (with antibiotics if necessary.)
For itching some anti histamine syrup will help.
God bless
Dr Uma