Have itchy hive like bumps on feet and lower legs. What is causing this?

General Surgeon
I have hive like bumps primarily on my feet and lower legs they itch, get worse when exposed to hot water or heat and leave scars when they go away. Any clue on what may be causing it. My husband and children have not had a problem and we do not have any animals in the house.
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 2 hours later

Hive (Urticaria) like bumps are frequently caused by allergic reactions; however, there are many nonallergic causes.

You didn't mention the duration of these symptoms.

Most cases lasting less than six weeks (acute) are the result of an allergic trigger. Chronic cases last longer than six weeks and are rarely due to an allergy.

The majority of chronic hives cases have an unknown (idiopathic) cause. In perhaps as many as 30 to 40% of patients with chronic idiopathic urticaria, it is caused by an autoimmune reaction. Acute viral infection is another common cause of acute urticaria (viral exanthem). Less common causes of hives include friction, pressure, temperature extremes, exercise, and sunlight.

You are probably suffering with a rare form of Urticaria called Heat Induced Urticaria. There are other types like Cold induced, Solar urticaria, Water urticaria etc.

Luckily, you know the triggering factor for your hives i.e. Hot water or heat.

Unfortunately, there is no permanent treatment.

You can try Antihistamines like Diphenhydramine. In serious condition, you have to use Corticosteroid like Prednisolone.

In acute attack, topical creams containing Hydrocortisone or Desonide can be used to prevent itching.

Another important thing is to avoid hot water or heat or limit your exposure, if possible.
The standard and most accepted treatment in any allergy is to avoid the cause.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more concerns.

Wish you good health.