Have itchy body, fever and water filled blisters in belly. What is causing this?

Allergist and Immunologist
Hi, I got severe itching on my body two days before and yesterday I saw two water filled blisters in my belly. Today I have slight fever too. I had chicken pox last year alomost the same time. What can be the reason for this blisters?
Posted Sun, 25 Nov 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 1 hour later

What you describe as 'water filled blisters' after the severe itching is usually swelling of deeper skin and oedema known as angioedema of cutaneous tissues. This is usually accompanied by the itchy urticarial rash that comes and goes.

The slight temperature may be related to the histamine release that usually causes local skin temperature to rise. However if you develop high grade fever, you will need to consult your dermatologist to rule out infection. Other source of infection like chest or urinary tract may accompany and needs to be treated with antibiotic.

In the meantime, long acting antihistamines like allegra can take care of present itching. You can get a prescription of this medicine from your local GP.

I hope that was helpful. Let me know if there are other enquiries.

Best Regards
Follow-up: Have itchy body, fever and water filled blisters in belly. What is causing this? 2 hours later
there is any chance for me to get chicken pox again in near future?
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 9 hours later
Yes, it is possible. Although most people once they have had chickenpox, retain immunity sufficiently for 10-15 years or longer.

You can get varicella antibodies done to check your current level of immunity.

People who never had chickenpox can now get 3 doses of the varicella vaccine to boost immunity.

As with viral vaccines, there will be a certain percentage of people who do not respond even with multiple boosters.

Hope that was clear and helpful.