Have itchy anus and noticed blood spots while wiping. What could be causing this?

Sep 2012

I have been having, for the past 3 months, a itchy anus, followed (sometimes) by a few blood spots or blood smears on the toliet paper.

Normally, a little Savlon helps, well normally a little Savlon and the problems dissappears for a week or so, but now its getting bad that it keeps me up at night...

Any ideas? At present I am thinking worms, but then it wouldnt make sense if Savlon is assisting?

Hope to hear from you soon
Posted Sun, 2 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 28 minutes later
Thank you for your query.

Firstly, the symptoms you told indicates a high chance of worm infestation. But sometimes it may occur due to some more common condition, like a hard stool that may lead to crack or fissure in the anal region. In this condition, you may have this type of itchy anus and some light bleeding.

But, it has to be confirmed by clinical examination.

So, you have to do the followings -
1. Take high fibre diet. XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
2. You should take a prophylactic course of antiworm agent like albendazole.
3. Consult with a general surgeon for a thorough clinical examination to rule out any other lesion like hemorrhoid, for ordering investigation like colonoscopy if required, and also for further management.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.