Have itching on face, ears and nose. Having small indentations and white patches on face. Concerned

I have had extreme itching for almost to years now. It started on my face.. in my ears and nose as well. Now it is everywhere. It feels like something is crawling and biting me. My kids are constantly itching their faces and noses as well. My son has come and told me he thinks spiders are in his bed. I check , clean the sheets and blankets and nothing! I just tell him it must be allergies and he is just itchy but I know something else is going on because its affecting all of us. I had done the same thing months before to my husband... My son had no knowledge of this. I started getting small indentations in my face resembling acne scarring and it has only gotten worse... speading and deepening. It is sheer torture to have such itching all the time. My children have also gotten bumps on their faces that have been there for months. I also notice little pin like holes (not pores haha) on their faces. It started with my 6 yr old daughter than my 3 year old son and now my 11 year old as well. I also have small white patches under my skin as well as my husband most evident in our pubic area and chest. I will also wake up with small brown scratch like looking things but they dont go away unless i pick it out like a splinter. I have gone to several derms and they all think my face is acne scarring. I have NEVER had acne or acne scarring! My husband is also getting areas of his face that are turning into small circle indentations. I am SOOO done with all of this! I know the Dr.s are trying to help but I think they just think its in my mind. I am wondering if it can me some kind of fungal infection? Are there any small mites that could be doing this? I do notice little tiny white things at the hair follicles. I can even pull them out. They are probably about this size: ~ Can anybody help??!! By the way... all of us have severe nasal congestion and itching and sneezing as well. All the little glands inside my nose look like little puss balls. I was on antibiotics all year last year trying to get rid of all of the infections. I just think they were treating me for the wrong things. I have also had strep several times over the past to years. Sorry... I know its a lot but Im hoping it will help tie it all together.
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 27 minutes later

Thanks for your query

I understand your concern and hope I will of help here.

I have gone through your entire description of the problem and what I suspect is that you and your family seem to be affected by body lice infestation.

The sequence of events with you being infected first and then your spouse and children developing similar type of skin lesions, all go in favor of lice infestation.

The characteristics of a body louse bite include:
A tiny red dot initially appears.
The red dot rises into a small cyst-like lump or papule.
The area becomes inflamed.
The bite causes irritation and severe itching.
Secondary infection resulting from the continuous scratching.

Body lice can be transmitted in clothing or bedding as well as by close physical contact. Direct contact with an affected person or their personal belongings can spread the lice from person to person, hence leading to infection of all the family members together.

For control of the problem:
Increase personal hygiene, bathing or showering regularly
Change and launder clothes, especially underwear, regularly, or dispose of affected clothing.
Launder clothing and blankets recently used by an infested person in hot water (greater than 70ºC). Preferably tumble dry or iron clothes with all seams turned outwards.
If clothes cannot be laundered or dry cleaned iron them, paying special attention to seams, or seal them in a white plastic bag for a month.

Avoid close contact with infested persons, their clothing and bedding.
Thoroughly vacuum mattresses paying attention to seams and creases, and under buttons.
Appropriate insecticide treatment in the form of local application of 5 % permethrin cream to all the affected person is to be given, This cream has to be applied at night all over the body below the neck, then left on skin for 12 hours and washed off the next morning.

Medication to reduce itching (antihistamines) and control secondary infection may also be required.

Pleas don’t worry as it is a totally treatable condition. I am sure that the above treatment will be of benefit to you.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

Wishing you and your family speedy recovery.

Dr Geetika Paul