Have inflamed piriformis muscle with spermatocele cyst, creating sciatic nerve pain. Long term side effects?

Urologist
Question
Can spermatocele have any longterm side effects? Can there be leaking of some sort? I know have an inflammed piriformis muscle on same side as spermatocele cyst that is creating chronic sciatic nerve pain. The two seem to be related as piriformis/sciatic pain started weakly when spermatocele was diagnosed. Due to the relatively same locations, I wrote it off as normal spermatocele pain (morning/night.) But now piriformis muscle is a real issue and syptoms similar to piriformis syndrome. This has been going on overall 7 years now.
Possible infection from cyst?
Posted Sun, 30 Jun 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 30 minutes later
Dear sir,
Spermatocele are usually asymptomatic and don't require any treatment. However, some may experience severe pain issues secondary to spermatocele and may have to be operated upon.

However, spermatocele does not leak and hence shall not contribute to worsening of piriformis/ sciatic pain.

Had the spermatocele been infected, you would have been running fever, severe pain in the scrotal region and even local redness and tenderness on examination.

Spermatocele does not appear to be the cause of your worsening pain and you need to see your doctor for the same.

Sincerely

Rajiv goel

Follow-up: Have inflamed piriformis muscle with spermatocele cyst, creating sciatic nerve pain. Long term side effects? 21 minutes later
Thank you for the quick response Dr Goel!

As my first followup, are there any possible urological conditions that could effect the Piriformis muscle (ie, seminal vessel obstruction complication) It seems the pain in my piriformis becomes more acute after ejaculation, which has lessened in volume over time.

As I mentioned in my medical history, I've also had two inguinal hernia operations, one on both sides, in which the ruptures were fixed with fabric patch. Could either of these two hernia patches become infected over time (20 years) or compromised such that they may lead to an infection effecting the surrounding tissues and my piriformis muscle?

Thanks for your help....

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 10 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Spermatocele shall not affect the piriformis muscle and shall not cause the worsening of the symptoms. However, worsening is possible post ejaculation as ejacuklation can lead to worsening of spasm of muscles and hence the pain.

Infected mesh repair shall lead to a lot more than just pain in the piriformis. However, it is certainly possible that some nerve entrapment has taken place in the mesh and hence the pain. However, there is no way to ascertain that and more importantly no treatment for the same.

Sincerely

Rajiv goel