Have indigestion, tiredness, tightness in chest and irregular heartbeat. Smoke and had mitral valve leak. Suggest?

I feel as though I have indigestion all the time, but nothing I take seems to help. I feel extreme tiredness a good deal of the day and have a tight feeling in my chest and irregular heartbeat and feel lighheaded. I was told 20 years ago that I had a small mitral valve leak, but that this was nothing to worry about. I am female and age 72,. I'm afraid to admit that I smoke, but only in moderaton (about 10 a day. Can you help please?
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 31 minutes later
Dear friend, welcome to Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

From your history, I gather that your past tests were acceptable and I assume ECG was normal too.

I see a few possibilities for your symptoms.
IHD (Ischaemic Heart Disease)- where there is problem with the blood supply to the heart.
Your age, smoking, high BP, irregular heart rate, spasm? are all risk factors for IHD/ CAD.
Secondly, COPD with wheezing and carbon dioxide retention can cause high heart rate, BP, tiredness, chest tightness, dizziness etc.
I would like to know the results of old tests.

Do you have any chest pain, sweating, nausea?
Are you breathless with any cough?
Is there any expectoration?
Do you get any missed beats or palpitations?

It would greatly help if you could upload the reports/ images here using the uploading service available on this site just below the text box. You can email the reports / scans to
YYYY@YYYY      with subject- (Attn: Dr. Prasad Akole)

Otherwise I would advise you to undergo detailed examination for these possibilities, ECG, blood tests, ABG (arterial blood gas), Xray chest, stress test if necessary.

I would definitely urge you to quit smoking , as it increases the risk many times.

At your age, it is must to rule out all the serious things that your symptoms are indicating. Do not delay evaluation (if not done)

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck!