Have hypothyroidism and started gaining weight. Advice low calorie and low fat diet plan

Jun 2015

Dear dr
I have hypothyroidism please advice low calorie low fat diet.i am gaining weight day by day
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Weight
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 2 hours later

In hypothyroidism, the thyroid gland fails to produce enough of the hormones to control the body metabolism.
This leads to gain in weight of the individual.

To tackle this, a low calorie low fat diet should be followed along with regular intake of medications like Thyronorm.

1. Avoid eating white breads, rice and pasta. They have high calories and increases the blood sugar level.
2. It is better to have complex carbohydrates such as whole wheat bread, oatmeal and brown rice.
3. Consume low fat versions of milk and cheese and avoid oily foods.
4. Have a diet XXXXXXX in low calorie protein foods such as egg whites, skinless chicken, fish, etc.
5. One of the important symptoms in hypothyroidism is increased thirst. But it is better to avoid soft drinks and fruit juices which are XXXXXXX in calories.
Instead, drink large amount of water (about 6 to 8 glasses) throughout the day.
6. Dietary fiber such as whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and nuts can also be included in the diet.

Wishing you a Good Health.
Let me know if I need to clarify further.
Thanks & take care.