What kind of food can I give for my child suffering from wheezing problem?

Dietitian & Nutritionist
Dear Sir/Madam, I have a daughter of 5 years old. She is suffering from Wheezing and her intake of food is very less. Could you please suggest me some healthy foods that can be given. I have tried giving her fruits, but she is allergic to all citric fruits and bananas. Not sure how her food diet should be. Look forward for your suggestion. Thanks and regards, XXXX
Posted Tue, 7 Jan 2014 in Diet Plans
Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 3 hours later
Brief Answer: include a variety in diet with interesting options Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX thanks for posting the query. A god diet plan for children of this age includes almost all types of food. However, his eating pattern would largely depend on his preferences and the foods that she is comfortable eating. It is very important that you bring a variety in the diet, while at the same time avoiding the foods that might aggravate the symptoms. Starchy foods like banana, potato, sweet potato etc. should be avoided as they aggravate symptoms. Also avoid foods with corn / starch coating. Other foods to exclude are chocolates, curd, too much of milk, fried foods and peanuts. Include more fruits, cereals and pulses in the diet. Since she has allergy to sour and citrus fruits, you should completely eliminate these foods from her plan. However the other fruits like guava, mango, papaya etc. are good.. Never mix more than 2- foods together, this would help you to identify the problem foods. You can also maintain a food diary, and note down every new food that you introduce or in case if u notice any increase in the symptoms. This notebook may be used for future reference. The foods that would help her to improve will include the antioxidant rich foods like, broccoli, spinach, papaya, carrot, lettuce etc. strawberries are also good for her. It’s important to keep her hydrated, including beverages like soups, XXXXXXX juice at room temperature, thin porridge made with either milk or with water. Encourage her to take sips of normal temperature drinking water throughout the day. Speak to your child about the goodness of food and encourage her to help you in simple tasks like wiping the plates or placing the precut salad onto the plate, this way she would learn to value the meal and this would also help her develop a positive relation with food. Hope This Helps, Meenakshi