Have hypothyroidism. Took Thyrozol. Prescribed some Selenious Yeast tablets. Continue medications? Good time for baby?

May 2013
Hi, I've been confirmed to have hyperthyroidism in the end of XXXXXXX 2012 and started to take medicine since then. At that time, all of the indexes (FT3/FT4/TSH/Anti-TPO/Anti-TG/TRAB) were abnormal including extremely high Anti-TPO (>1300) nd Anti-TG (>500). After three months treatment with Thyrozol, everything returned to normal level. Then I took less and less Thyrozol according to doctor's suggestion based on monthly blood test results. Since XXXXXXX 2013, I took 1/4 tablet of Thyrozol every day. Starting from mid May, I stopped to take Thyrozol as is suggested by two doctors. My FT3/FT4/TSH have been very stable at the normal levels (TSH<2.5) since Oct 2012, but antibodies went back to extremely high levels this year. Also, TRAB rises to 7.3 in XXXXXXX I'd like to get pregnant later this year.
1) Do you think I should continue taking no medicine according to the current status? Or should I go back to the stage of taking minimum amount of Thyrozol?
2) If the latter, when would be a good timing to think about having baby.
3) My doctor gave me some Selenious Yeast tablets. Can I take them before/during pregnancy?

Btw, I think the medicine I took was Methimazole produced by Merck. It's quite effective on me with little side effects.

I know that it could harm the baby so I did abortion last year suggested by my doctor.
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

1. Though the hormone levels are normal as your antibody levels are high better to take the medicines.
You can start and maintain with minimal amount of thyrozol with your doctor's advice.
2.After starting the tablets you continue for around 6 weeks then go for repeat test. If all levels are normal, you continue for 6 more weeks and then plan for pregnancy.
3.Selenium yeast tablets comes under category C drugs in pregnancy. Means animal studies showed some risk to fetus but human studies are lacking.
So if according to your doctor benefits over-weigh risks here, you can use them.
4. Yes, thyrozol contains methimazole.
Which belongs to category D drug in pregnancy. Means some studies showed some risk to fetus due to the drug.
And some doctors suggest propylthiouracil as an alternative to it.
But according to some studies methiomazole is not having proved evidence of fetal risk and not having any extra risk than propylthiouracil.
As hyperthyroidism can lead to low birth weight and preterm labor etc. complications you can continue with low dose after consulting your doctor.
Regular antenatal checkups and ultrasound examinations are needed during pregnancy.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Follow-up: Have hypothyroidism. Took Thyrozol. Prescribed some Selenious Yeast tablets. Continue medications? Good time for baby? 14 minutes later
Thanks for your reply!
I've been taken minimal amount for half year but it doesn't help anti-bodies while T3/T4/TSH are all good. Should I still go back to take minimal amount? What if the anti-bodies are abnormal after 6 weeks of minimal amount? Many doctors say anti-bodies are uncontrollable. Is there any medicine to lower them?
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later

Yes, you have to take the medicine. Because:
-High levels of antibodies sooner or later can prevent the thyroid gland form functioning normally.
-These antibodies can affect other systems also.
-Women with high levels of thyroid antibodies is having higher risk of miscarriage in pregnancy.

If you observe your thyroid reports,
By XXXXXXX 2013, all levels came to normal.
When you decreased the medicine dosage in XXXXXXX from next month the antibodies started to rise.
When you stopped the drug they stayed in very high levels.
It indicates the need of usage of medicine.

You start form low dose. If the antibodies levels do not come to control you may need to increase the dose with your doctor's advice.
Steroids can help in controlling the antibodies levels. But they are having some side effects.
So by using thyrozol you can maintain the thyroid function and can prevent its damage because of antibodies.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.