Have hypothyroidism. BP keeps fluctuating. As a smoker precautions to take?

Hi this is XXXXXXX, I am a patient suffering from hyperthyroidism and also at present I am noticing that I have a fluctuating blood pressure between 156/113 to 129/94. I am a smoker...what are my precautions?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 8 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I do understand that you are a 32 year old female suffering from thyroid disease and concerned about BP.

I would like to know your thyroid reports. Because you have mentioned that you are suffering from hyperthyroidism, but you have been taking thyronorm which is given for hypothyroidism.

Smoking itself can increase your BP and if possible, it would be preferable if you stop smoking. I would also suggest you to get complete work-up to rule out other causes of hypertension.

Please do write back with the thyroid reports, You have an option of uploading the reports and images on the right hand side of your dashboard, so please utilize that so that I can help you better.

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Have hypothyroidism. BP keeps fluctuating. As a smoker precautions to take? 11 hours later
Dear Dr. Kumaravel,

Thank you so much for the answer. I know that the consequences of smoking are relatively perilous and hence have decided to quit smoking. I am having some family problems at present for which the hypertension is there. My thyroid levels as tested on Jan1st 2011, is 4.75microU/ml, free T3=3 pg/ml. free T4=0.95ng/dl, after consuming thyronorm 12.5 mcg for almost 5 months and now not tested recently. My question is what should I do for the B.P because generally I know as per my knowledge being a paramedical professional myself that hyperthyroidism and excessive body wt increases blood pressure, but I dont want to consume the beta blockers or amloguards. What does the "complete work-up" includes which you have mentioned in your previous guidance? My glucose level is normal which is 87 mg/dl as tested one year before. My height is 5 ft 2 inches and body wt relatively more=76. So do let me know please what you suggest?

Recently, my doctor has given anxit, for hypertension which I am taking for the last two days but I am feeling discomfort at night when I know that this medicine induces good sleep and reduces anxiety. But frankly speaking I am not feeling good after this medication. Please suggest.

Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 46 hours later

Thanks for reverting.

Your TSH of 4.75 is suggestive of hypothyroidism and you can continue thyroxine dose of 12.5mcg.

As far as high blood pressure at an age like yours is concerned, I feel you would require further work-up to rule out other secondary causes like renal hypertension, endocrine hypertension or cardiac problem. The complete work-up would include tests like urea, creatinine, potassium, ultrasound, renal doppler and other hormonal tests.

These days, we have many drugs for hypertension and if you don’t want to take beta blockers or amlogard, you can consider taking angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors (ACE inhibitors) or angiotension receptor blockers (ARBs). Please consult your treating physician to explore these treatment options.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no other follow up queries.