Have hypogammaglobulemia and IVIG therapy. Get infections. Suggestions?

I have hypogammaglobulemia and I am on IVIG therapy every other week for infusion therapy.

My problem is that even getting infusions I am still get infections, ear infections, strep etc. I thought that this would go away. I have been on the infusions for a year now.
Any suggestions?
Posted Thu, 25 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I am afraid from your past medical history, primary immunodefficiency syndromes are a serious risk factor for recurrent infections. Vaccination against Streptococcus pneumoniae and Hemophilus influenzae, to be repeated at least once every two years are compelling and very obligatory.

These are the main pathogens responsible for these infections.

Consult your primary care physician for these vaccines, widely available to be prescribed.

Thanks and kind regards.

Bain LE, MD.

Follow-up: Have hypogammaglobulemia and IVIG therapy. Get infections. Suggestions? 42 minutes later
I have had those vaccinations but I do not keep the antibodies.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 6 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

It s great you take those the vaccines. It would be compelling now to ensure that these infections are always usually properly treated. Treatment of infections with appropriate antibiotics for the appropriate durations is compelling. Secondly, it might be useful to know if any blood cultures or identifications of any of these infections been done before. Resistance to the usually antibiotics that have been used is another possibility.

In case all of the above options have been fully exploited and treatment has always been appropriately done, I am afraid prevention and timely and appropriate treatment remains the main opportunities we got now. You might need to consult and be under the full cover and follow up of a rheumatologist and seek a consultation with an infectiologist. Continuing your vaccine shots remains very important. It is not unusual however to have recurrent infections with the primary immune deficiency syndrome as in your case.

Thanks and hope this helps as I wish you the best of health. Kind regards.

Bain LE, MD.
Follow-up: Have hypogammaglobulemia and IVIG therapy. Get infections. Suggestions? 11 hours later
It does help unfortunately my job is in Pharmaceuticals and I am in the Sales Division calling on XXXXXXX Medicine Physicians, Family Practice and Walk in Clinics, so I fear this might be hurting my illness because I am come into contact with more ill people then the normal.

Have you ever heard of anyone with this disease working in my field, thus far I have not found any people with PIDD working with patients.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 31 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I fully understand your worry, which of course has a scientific grounding. For sure, patients with primary immune deficiencies are generally not advised to be in contact, especially if they are health workers, to work with critically ill patients (septic units, intensive care services, wound dressing or debriding areas).

The patients I have had the opportunity to XXXXXXX with this condition for sure do not work with pharmaceutics. One was a teacher and the other an accountant. They all do XXXXXXX people. Repeated and regular vaccine taking, hygiene rules respect and avoiding septic milieus are to me sufficient. You must not isolate your self, but also not exposing yourself to areas of imminent infection since you are more prone to easily get infected than others.

I think your vaccines and wisdom in avoiding such places should be sufficient to lead your life normally and not be frustrated in any way. Remember to respect your vaccine schedule and consult your physician when you suspect an infection or feel unwell.

Thanks and hope this helps and kind regards.
Bain LE, MD.