Have hollowness in head. Have tinnitus and use hearing aid. Related?

Like many of the previous queries I have this sense of 'hollowness' in my head, to tap my skull or 'snap' my teeth together.
Am 74 yr old, have tinnitus (bad) part deaf have hearing aids, but this sensation now is something new.
Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to inner ear problem.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The feeling of hollowness in your head is likely to be related to the ear problem that you are having. It can be caused by blocked ear canal by wax or infection. It can also be indicative of a middle ear disease. There may be a damage to the nerve endings responsible for hearing due to aging.
You need a thorough evaluation by an ENT specialist as there are various causes for these symptoms and they can be ruled out only after a Physical Examination. Once the cause is confirmed, you will be treated accordingly.
Till then avoid caffeine and smoking.
You can also add Zinc and Ginkgo Biloba supplements to your diet for relief.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.