Have high refractory period. Can I use cabergoline or L-dopa to decrease this period?

Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
I had a query about refractory period in men my age. I take a full day to be fully aroused again. After a day, I have no problem in getting or mainaining an erection for as long as needed. I've tried up to 50 minutes, but I can definitely go longer.

Is there something I can do about my refractory period? My quality of life would be improved if I could have a much shorter refractory period at least once or twice a month. Can I use something like a cabergoline or L-dopa?

I've had my prolactin and my testosterone levels checked. My testosterone is a bit on the lower side (289).
Posted Wed, 13 Feb 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Though the refractory period in men is widely variable from person to person and according to the age, on an average, it would be between 30 to 60 minutes for men of your age. So, one full day definitely seems longer than normal.

Your testosterone levels are borderline low, but this can vary depending on the time of the day it was taken or several other factors. However, since you are able to get aroused normally, have a stisfactory erection, sexual performance and orgasm, it is unlikely that you are suffering from any significant hormonal imbalance.

Now, medication such as Cabergoline or L-dopa are only experimentally found to have a potential to treat the hormonal imbalances (such as high prolactin levels) which could be causing this problem. However they are not approved and not commonly prescribed in clinical practice. They also can have several side effects. Therefore, only in some cases where tests show a high prolactin level, these medication may be used.

You have mentioned in your medical history that you have hypertension and cholesterol. Both these conditions as well as the side effects of the medication for these conditions can also be possible causative factors for your sexual problem.

One possible cause for a prolonged refractory period could be hyperstimulation of the penis and prolonged sexual activity. It is generally found that the more prolonged the sexual intercourse, the more prolonged may be the refractory time.

So, one way to tacke this problem would be to avoid too much prolongation of sexual activity. Also, physical hyperstimulation of the penis should be avoided - that it when the person is fully aroused psychologically and subsequently has a good erection, then the physical hyperstimulation of the penis can be avoided. So, spicing up foreplay and getting fully aroused before initiating sexual intercourse is important. If your problem persists despite trying these simple techniques, then other treatment strategies can be considered. Certain specific anti-depressants, like Bupropion, increase the dopamine levels and have been proven to improve sexual dysfunction. Medication like Sildenafil, Tadalafil, etc., which are typically used for erectile dysfunction can also be used off-label in treating this problem since these medication have been shown to also mildly increase libido as well as promote an overall betterment in sexual performance.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist

Follow-up: Have high refractory period. Can I use cabergoline or L-dopa to decrease this period? 6 hours later
I prolong my sexual activity since I am unable to achieve arousal after ejaculation. The problem of long refractory period remains even after a 10-15 minute session.

In case I want to try these medicines (sildenafil, bupropion). Should I go to a GP to get them prescribed, or is it better that I go to a sexologist? I am also planning to go off Rosuvas since my cholesterol was perfectly normal in the last test, and was only borderline high before that.

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 22 hours later
Hello again,

It would be better to go to a Sexologist for further treatment. I would also suggest that you adopt a healthy and balanced diet, with more of fruits and vegetables - this will not only give you vitamins and anti-oxidants, but also the high fibre will help control your cholesterol. In addition, you can try a multivitamin plus anti-oxidant supplement (e.g. Matilda -AF), as certain vitamins (such as vit. E and C) are known to be important for normal sexual functioning and fertility. Regular physical exercise - at least 15-20 minutes of jogging or brisk walking will help improve blood circulation and these general measures will also help in improving overall sexual performance. You can also try yoga or meditation - just 10 minutes a day as this will keep your mind relaxed and fresh. Often, with regard to sexual problems, good results are achieved with a multi-modal approach, rather than one particular treatment alone. So, all these other lifestyle modifications are also important.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist

Follow-up: Have high refractory period. Can I use cabergoline or L-dopa to decrease this period? 2 days later
Thank you, doctor. I will follow your advice.

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 27 minutes later
Glad that my advise has been useful to you. Kindly close the query and leave a review if you are satisfied with the answer.

All the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist