Have high blood pressure, pain and swelling in arm. Took clonidine. Now feeling disoriented. Thoughts?

I am having pain and swelling in my right arm (not left) and I can hear my heartbeat and hear the blood in my ears. I have high blood pressure and have just taken my clonidine.2. But I am also feeling a bit disoriented as I have for the last couple of days.
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 1 hour later
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

Is your BP high now?
Could you be more descriptive here?
What is the pain like? Dull aching, electric like shooting, tingling numbness?
Where is the swelling in the right limb? How rapidly has it appeared?
Is there any pale look, discoloration in the arm?
Are you nauseated, have a headache?
Is there any weakness in the right arm?
Are you imbalant, or have ringing in the ears?
Can you talk properly or are slurring?
Are you breathless?

I would be able to answer more specifically once I get the details.
It could all be related to a very high BP. But the arm pain swelling needs to be evaluated.
Please check your BP now at home (if possible)

If at any point you develop weakness in the arm or get more disoriented, ask your caretakers to go to the ER and seek medical attention.

I would be glad to answer any further queries.

Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck! Thank you!!
Follow-up: Have high blood pressure, pain and swelling in arm. Took clonidine. Now feeling disoriented. Thoughts? 51 minutes later
I am not able to take my BP now. I do not have a monitoring device. My right arm is numb including the hand. The right arm swelling came on quite quickly but now that I have taken my clonidine and am lying down it has subsided some. There is a bluish discoloration to both arms. I am nauseated but do not have a headache. I have such loud ringing in my hears as well as hearing my heartbeat and the pulsing of the blood pushing through that it is difficult to hear. I am thinking of going to the ER but I also know that I have been extremely stressed lately and have not been sleeping well. I am at home alone so am a bit worried. Your thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 30 minutes later
Pain, swelling, numbness, bluish discoloration of the arm and ringing in ears, nausea, disorientation are serious symptoms and need urgent attention.

You can go to the ER or call for help (friends/ relatives or EMS).

Hypertensive emergencies, venous thrombosis (vein clotting) from vivelle patch, drug interactions, embolization are possibilities and need urgent attention.

Do not waste time and call for help.
Ask someone to keep me informed at
Take care and good luck !!
I would appreciate a rating for this answer when you get better.
Thanks !