Have hick full beard, chin, neck, sides and mustache. Noticed beard on right side of face growing quicker. What can be done?

I am 60 years old with a thick full beard, chin, neck, sides and mustache. Suddenly, in the last 5-7 days, my beard on the right side of my face is growing quicker than the left. I noticed it first on the right side of my chin and now the whole side. I shave every day and the stubble on the right is much more noticable.. No changes in medication, diet or anything.
Posted Thu, 25 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
There can be some change in speed of hair growth from left and right side.
Also as far as disease is considered there is more possibility that left sided growth is decreased rather than increased growth on right side.In some conditions like diffuse alopecia areata hair growth is decreased on one side of face.
There is more chance that the growth difference is normal more than a result of disease process.
Also I would like to know-
Is the growth patchy or uniform?
Is there any visible/scaling/flaking?
Any itching?
Answer the questions and we can continue the discussion here.
MD Dermatology
Follow-up: Have hick full beard, chin, neck, sides and mustache. Noticed beard on right side of face growing quicker. What can be done? 53 minutes later
In answer to your questions, but first; you make a point, it could be that the right side is normal and the left is decreased growth. I will monitor more closely.
Your questions :
1. Uniform
2. No scaling or flaking
3. No itching
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 22 hours later

Thanks for the details.

The nearest possibility in your case can be diffuse alopecia areata.

At this stage I do not recommend any active treatment. You should carefully observe the growth for few days. If the pattern of hair growth persists then examination by a specialist like dermatologist / trichologist would be needed.
I recommend only observation at this stage.There is nothing to be worried about.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Sudarshan