Have hernia problems in testicle. How to fix this problem?

Hi Team,
My son has some hernia problems in testicals.. sometimes it gets bulged and sometime it will be normal. Consulted few doctors around here they insisted for a operation and I am scared to get this done at a age of 3 . I have gone through few articales online and found that hernia even occurs to a new born babys as well and few online forums suggested that it will fix the problem of hernia automatically by the age of 5 years.
My question here is does this hernia problem is serious which has to attained now or do I wait till 5 years or what is your suggestion on this.Baby does't have any pain or any issues with it
Posted Sat, 3 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 18 minutes later

I think an early and elective surgery is preferable. You should not wait till the child gets older.
Hernias create problems only when they get complicated.
In groin hernia, some part of gut slips into scrotum through a gap in abdomen muscles. If the contents of hernia go back to abdomen in few hours or on lying down, then risk is gone.
But at times the gut part of hernia may get stuck after coming down and may cause serious complications like obstruction that may require emergency surgery.
To not take such a chance… elective and early surgery is preferable and safe.

So if you have noticed a hernia atleast two times a month… please get operated.
I hope this clears your doubts. Do write back if any further clarification needed.
Follow-up: Have hernia problems in testicle. How to fix this problem? 2 days later
Thanks you for the qucik response Doctor.
I wanted to know the complete details of hernia...What exactly is it and on operation what doctors will do to his testicals.How critical will it be and how can we identify when its gets to complication
I even wanted to know whether there will be any side effects on performing the oprerations as it is related to the testicals....
And any suggestions on which hospital or Doctor i consult..

I am very much afraid when I get to know that my baby has to go through operation
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 4 hours later

Thanks for following up.

In your son's case, the hernia is a bag / sac containing part of gut that slips from tummy to the scrotum through an abnormal / normal opening.

It usually causes asymptomatic swelling that goes back (reduces) into the abdomen upon lying or mechanical modifications. When it stops going back (become unreducible) promptly within four hours or lying down… it may start getting complicated sooner.

Surgery is very simple in children and needs to be done by pediatric surgeon when available. The procedure has nothing to do with testes. Surgeon makes a small cut in groin… looks for the bag in which gut comes down, cuts the sac and ties it off - such surgery is called herniotomy and child can be walking from next day.

I am not sure of your location. I will be able to guide you to a hospital if you are planning for the surgery in Mumbai.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Follow-up: Have hernia problems in testicle. How to fix this problem? 14 hours later
Thanks for your response Doctor...

I am from hyderabad...if you can suggest a hospital and doctor will be a great help

Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 1 hour later
You will surely find a specialist at M G hospital.