Have headache. Scalp looks pink instead of white. Developed bump in ear. Suggest?

Addiction Medicine Specialist

I have had pain in my head for a few weeks. Now my scalp is pink instead of white, primarily where it hurts the most. In addition, I developed a bump in my ear that now has stuff coming out of it.

Any thoughts?

Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
This suggests presence of infection.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Healthcare Magic!

The pinkish discoloration of scalp that hurts on touch and presence of discharge from the ear both indicate the presence of inflammation, the most likely cause of which is some kind of a bacterial infection.

Since it is the head that is involved, there is the possibility of the infection spreading to the brain and becoming serious. A course of antibiotics will help control the infection and prevent further spread. Please also get a brain imaging like CT-Scan and other relevant tests done to rule out the spread of infection. Hence I suggest that you see a doctor as soon as possible.

Hope this answers your query. Please feel free to ask if you want any clarifications.

Best wishes.

Dr Preeti Parakh
MD Psychiatry