Have hashimotos disease.On levoxyl for years. Can it affect the result of the blood alcohol content?

Feb 2013

I have hashimoto's disease. I have been on 200/levoxyl for years now. (Has slowly been increased to that dose over the years). In XXXXXXX my results came back at over 73, so the doctor had me do more labs as you would guess. My question is this: about a month after the XXXXXXX result, I had a couple of sangria's. I was pulled over and my BAC was over 2!!! Even the police report stated "slight" smell and "slight" slurring. I am a 5-8 140lb 42 year old woman... with those results I should have been passed out. My question is this- with my lab # being so far from range, would it affect the result of the blood alcohol content of my blood?

Thank you!
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 4 hours later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The high test result value of 73 will not effect the result of the blood alcohol content of your blood.

As the alcohol is metabolized by the liver, the thyroid status will not effect the blood alcohol content.

But there are some drugs like like aspirin, furfural, cimetidine, and ranitidine will interfere with the metabolism of alcohol.

But undertreatment of hypothyroidism may lead to slowing of the cognitive functions of the brain in a similar way of the effects of alcohol on the brain at a level.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.