Have hard swollen bump on top of belly button. What is this?

I am a man and I have a swallen bump on top of my belly button and it is hard and it hurts. What is that?
Posted Thu, 15 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 34 minutes later
A "swollen bump" on top of your belly button could mean you have an umbilical hernia. Usually hernias are "reducible", meaning that some bowel can get in and out from the hernia, and this can cause pain and discomfort. If the hernia becomes "strangulated", then the pain becomes so unbearable that you couldn't even sit in front of the computer to read this.
It is difficult to determine if this is really the problem without a physical examination. Other problems that come to mind include an abscess, infection, lipoma. Hope that helps. LEt me know if you have further questions,