Have hair loss. Will biotin tablet help? If not, what will?

Hello Doctor, Iam 28 years old and iam facing hair loss problems. I heard that biotin tablet will help in this, could you please suggest me the name of the tablet and their amount
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 3 hours later

Thank you for posting the query,

There are various reasons for hair loss in men, the most common being androgenetic alopecia.This is due to both your hormones and the hereditary factor. According to your current medication mentioned you are presently on that very treatment.

You also mentioned that you are on keraglo forte, which is nothing but biotin (10mg), which does help in preventing hair loss. Biotin is also known as Vitamin B7. You are on the right dose. You can continue taking it along with the other medications prescribed.

Hope I have answered your query, Should you have additional concern regarding the same, I would be happy to address it or please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.
Follow-up: Have hair loss. Will biotin tablet help? If not, what will? 10 hours later
I am taking these medicines from last 2 years last But I still have hair loss. Can you please suggest me some alternative medicine or I have to take increased dose ??
At this age i don't want to be look bald..
also please suggest me diets which prevents hair fall.

Thank you for writing back!
You are currently receiving good and effective medication. At the same time, you must be informed that loosing 20 or 30 hairs a day is regarded as normal.
You can also try a 10% solution of minoxidil available as Solution Gzldil 10% which needs to be applied to the scalp twice a day. Other options include lasers and mesotherapy. Mesotherapy, although still controversial, involves giving injections on the scalp for hair growth.
If baldness sets in, the permanent solution remains is only hair transplantation
As there are various reasons for hair loss, the exact cause needs to be determined after a complete evaluation. If you had consulted a dermatologist I am sure he would have discussed with you. If the hair loss is genetic , which means that many of your family members have it (especially on your mothers’ side). If that is the case, then this is the most likely cause of hair loss in your case. Additionally, when hair loss occurs due to thyroid problems, the chances of recovery are bleak. In other cases, there is a good chance of arresting hair loss.
As far as the dietary modifications are concerned, the following modifications need to be done.

•     Avoid mutton, red meat, fried fish and tandoori chicken. Homemade fish or chicken cooked without frying can be taken once in 10 days(only 2 pieces with no gravy)
•     Avoid coconut gravy, ground nuts, peanuts, excessive potato, pasta & noodles.
•     Avoid fried foods like vada, samosa, puri, papad, dosa and chips.
•     Avoid sugary foods like chocolates, pastries, cakes, ice cream, sweets and desserts .
•     Avoid bakery items like biscuits, toasts, khari, puffs, patties, rolls, croissants, doughnuts and cup cakes.
•     Avoid chinese food like aginomoto
•     Avoid fast foods like pizza, burgers and canned foods.
•     Avoid colas, coke, pepsi, soft drinks & all kind of juices.
•     Completely avoid smoking.

I would also recommend the following diet
•     10-12 Glasses of water
•     Steamed sprouts- 3 time a week
• XXXXXXX leafy vegetables-3 times a week
• XXXXXXX beans-3 times a week, French beans, broad beans.
•     Raw salads-radish, beet root, carrot, cucumber, tomato, pepper, lime, no salad dressings, no sauce, no mayonnaise.
•     Dry beans like rajma, black beans, yellow beans, kidney beans-twice a week.
•     All types of dal-black dal, yellow dal, turn by turn daily.
•     Paneer (cottage cheese) , chola(chick peas), soya- each –once a week.
•     4 walnuts & 4 almonds- on alternate days.
•     1 glass milk per day.
•     1 tsp ghee or 1 slice of cheese per day.
•     4 fresh fruits per day-advice to bite & eat –with the fruit skin, no juices.
Apart from this zinc, copper, amino acids, essential fatty acids, iron & minerals are important too.
I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.