Have had verruca on foot. Had several removed by doctor. Would anything from chemist be strong to remove. Suggest?

i have had a verucca on my foot for a couple of years now having had several removed by the doctor when I was younger. will the stuff you buy from the chemist be strong enough to remove it having been there a long time or do I have to see someone. also, is it detrimental to health to have a verucca for a long time?
Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 28 hours later
A plantar wart or verucca is a viral infection caused by human papilloma virus. As such it is not detrimental to health. But it can spread over your soles to become multiple or may spread to other body parts. It can be painful and may lead to pain during walking.
I have seen the pic attached. A simple paring of the lesion ie is removal of the dead cells over wart using a surgical blade followed by application of salicylic acid should help. Similarly you can try wearing corn cap after paring the lesion once in a week. It may require few sessions of paring to remove it completely.
The more definitive treatment would be a dermatologist guided paring with cryotherapy. After paring the lesion liquid nitrogen is applied to freeze the affected area. Another treatment could be Electrocautery.

If you want a home based treatment, careful paring of the lesion with salicylic acid application or corn cap should help.

Hope that answered your query.