Have had pevlic and lower abdominal pain. CT scan done. How long should I wait to get cured?

I have had pevlic and lower abdominal pain for at least 6 months. It gets worse after walking. If I press XXXXXXX into a spot on my left side, I get muscle spasms. I have had a CT scan which showed a 4 mm nonobstrcting calculus lower pole left kidney. I also have a mild nonspecific focal dialation left ureter aproximately 7 cm above the left UVJ --with no dialation above or below this level. How long should I wait to see if I am going to pass the stone on my own, or is there something I can do speed up eliminating the stone. I am 62 years old, and have never past a painful stone before.
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 26 minutes later
Your 4mm calculus in left kidney is unlikely to be causing you the the kind of pain that you seem to be experiencing, i.e. a pain which increases on walking, and certainly the pain from urinary stone should not be associated with muscle spasms. You also should not be suffering from nausea due to this small stone, and so if it indeed is a problem you might need to consult a physician /gastro-enterologist for managing nausea.
There are very good chances that you will be able to expel the stone spontaneously without requirement of medicines. I doubt if any urologist would advice you anything else as the size of the stone is quite small, but consider meeting him sooner than December if you have a sharp, colicky pain in your loin coming down towards your groin. I have no good experience with herbal supplementation and would recommend it only if its use has been supported by well-controlled clinical trials.
Unless contra-indicated, you should improve your water intake, preferably over 3 litres a day, and maybe more- try to maintain a urine output which is clear.
Your vegan diet is probably not necessary. In fact, some milk intake is recommended - preferably 1-2 glasses per day - this should take care of the oxalate in diet by binding it. We in fact rather discourage calcium supplementation in medication form in patients with kidney stones unless it is absolutely necessary, and dairy products are encouraged.
Restricting soy, sesame, peanuts could help, but you should be aware that there is an inherent tendency to form oxalate by the liver that you will not be able to control despite dietary measures. All these measures would be more appropriate if you have been passing stones on a regular basis since childhood, or if you have strong family history of kidney stones.
Hope I have been able to help you.