Have had moderate rectal bleeding. On amlodipine 5mg and lamotrigine 100mg. Is this normal?

I have had moderate rectal bleeding for around 2 weeks with no other symptoms. The blood is secreted after I have finished expelling the stools. It is normal color red blood. I used hemorrhoid cream for two days which seemed to stop the bleeding but the bleeding came back a day after I stopped the cream.

Currently taking:
Amlodipine 5mg daily (Hypertension)
Lamotrigine 100mg daily (Epilepsy)

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 8 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Normally bleeding from the anus, rectum, and the sigmoid colon tends to be bright red.
The most common cause could be:
1. Hemorrhoids - These are swollen blood vessels in the rectum or anus and can sometimes bleed. Painless rectal bleeding with a bowel movement is a common symptom of hemorrhoids. It can be painful sometimes.

2. Anal fissure —It is a tear in the lining of the anus, the opening where feces are excreted. Anal fissures can cause bleeding and a sensation of tearing or burning during or after a bowel movement.

Other rare causes of rectal bleeding — There are many other causes of rectal bleeding, including colon cancer, colon polyps, colitis, and diverticulitis.

In your case I see the probability of anal fissures as most likely cause.

Eat a high fiber diet and drink lots of fluids to avoid constipation. It is better to use the hemorrhoid cream like preparation H for a few days and then if it still continues you will need to get yourself examined by a Physician.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Have had moderate rectal bleeding. On amlodipine 5mg and lamotrigine 100mg. Is this normal? 33 hours later

Thank you for your reply.

I usually have 2-3 bowel movements a day so I think this makes it more difficult for the fissure to heal.

If I see no improvement and go to a doctor, what would be the follow up they would advise?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
The first line of treatment is conservative involving hot sitz bath, local ointments and venous constrictors like sodium dobesilate. Surgical treatment is needed if the symptoms are persistent and medicines are not helpful .
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.