Have had mid upper back pain, indigestion with slight nausea. Underlying causes?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have had mid upper back pain ranging from 2 - 10, Started last monday on right side, had a massage, but it was till sore, have taken liquid advil. then i had a mammagram on friday and afterwards had some indigestion with slight nausea and tightness between left and right shoulder blades, iced it yesterday several times and awoke this morning feeling worst on the left upper blade, and very tired after a 12 hour sleep. took hot shower and was so tired I had to lay down again. took some more advil and went for a walk to try to get moving. any thoughts pain level is about at 3 to 5, but when i move certain way and it kind of catches and hurts pretty bad 8 - 10.

Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likelyt to be a muscle spasm.

Detailed Answer:
The back pain and tightness between two shoulder blades is likely to be due to muscle spasm which in itself is a protective mechanism body develops so that the back avoids abnormal posture. For pain to go, it takes not only rest (on a comfortable bed) but also avoidance of particular positions (during work, rest or recreation).
The pain will improve with NSAID (ibuprofen, diclofenac, celecoxib and so on. Sometimes they can cause stomach irritation in some people - Take them after food. Simple Paracetamol alone and or in combination could also help.
At times, a muscle relaxant - like chlorzoxazone or methocarbamol - is added.
You can get a proper prescription from your General Physician.
Good posture at work and home are important in the long term. Yoga can help.
Go for massage, fomentation and physiotherapy - if severe.
Meanwhile following measures will help you with the pain:-
Have Warm shower.
Sleep on an electric heating pad under the area that is bothering you.
Stretch you muscles really well to keep them loose.
To keep your muscles warm during the day, there are many topical creams and
Take diet XXXXXXX in calcium, vitamin D and minerals.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.