Have had lymph node on collarbone. Blood test normal and ultrasound found small node. Suggest?

i have had a small lymph node for on my collarbone for 2 years..fbc normal..inflamation blood test normal..chest x XXXXXXX clear..ultrasound found small node ..too small for a needle...radiologist and drs say shotty node..should i be concerned?
also had mammogram last year which was clear
i also had a chest infection before noticing the node for the first time 2 years ago..i had my flu jab same time too
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Since you have had this lymph node for over two years is not very likely that this is a malignant process. The only way to prove this would be to have the lymph node removed and have a skilled pathologist review it under the microscope to give a definitive diagnosis.

I suspect you have discussed this with your doctor. You might also request a referral to a general surgeon who can examine you and determine if removing the lymph node is possible. You might also review this with a local hematologist for further recommendations. If you have a normal blood count with no evidence of lymph node swelling anywhere else in the body again it is not necessarily likely that this is some type of malignancy.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Have had lymph node on collarbone. Blood test normal and ultrasound found small node. Suggest? 4 hours later
The radiologist said where it is there are major blood vessels and nerve endings and as its so small it would be risky to remove..also o
Also if I stop touching it constantly it would most likely get even smaller
Also it is only just over 1 cm
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 19 hours later
Hello again.

Your history is really consistent with a most likely slightly benign parchment of the lymph node. As long as you are otherwisefeeling well and do not have things such as unexpected weight loss, drenching night sweats, fevers or excessive fatigue in addition to having normal blood tests than I am comfortable with you and just seeing your doctor on intermittent basis to continue to deserve this. I would not try to press or touch this area as well as it can cause it to get larger.

Again you're history is not really consistent with any type of cancer or lymphoma.Try to focus on continued healthy lifestyle as well as diet and exercise. Please see your doctor as scheduled to continue to discuss any additional concerns.

Dr Galamaga