Have had irregular bleeding. Diagnosed with complex hyperplasia. Mother had ovarian cancer. Suggest?

I had a uterine biopsy and was dx'd with atypical complex hyperplasia. I have had irregular bleeding for about 1 year, but thought it was related to peri menepause. My mom died at 47 from ovarian cancer, but I had the genetic testing done and I at least don't XXXXXXX one of the markers. How do I know if this condition is 2nd to a progestorone producing tumor.
Posted Sat, 19 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This condition is not caused by progesterone

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for consulting us.
The cause of Endometrial hyperplasia is the presence of unopposed Estrogen ( a hormone) for prolonged periods. Progesterone in fact has a protective role & sometimes used in high doses to control the disease.
Irregular bleeding is a sign of anovulation & hence progesterone deficiency ( as is seen in your case).
Conditions that are associated with high Estrogen levels may predispose to Endometrial hyperplasia like obesity, Polycystic ovary syndrome, estrogen producing tumours (e.g. granulosa cell tumour) and any Estrogen replacement therapy.
Endometrial hyperplasia is a significant risk factor for the development or even co-existence of endometrial cancer ( may be in up to 40% of cases), so careful monitoring and treatment is essential.
Hope I have given you the desired response. Please write back if you have any question.
Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Have had irregular bleeding. Diagnosed with complex hyperplasia. Mother had ovarian cancer. Suggest? 10 minutes later
I'm thin, I've never taken oral progesterone or estrogen. I don't think I have had polycyctic disease. Does this automatically increas chances for a co-existing tumour? I have felt sick and tired for about a year... I guess they really wont know until they take out the uterus?
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your irregular cycles indicate unopposed estrogens

Detailed Answer:
This is good that you are not overweight & have never used any hormones.
I am not aware of your fertility status but as I have mentioned before you have a positive history of irregular cycles. This is a sign of anovulation & may indicate presence of unopposed estrogens, which is a risk factor for this disease.
Yes, you are right only after histopathology & sectioning of the whole uterus they can tell you if there is any co-existing carcinoma or not.
Hope you get well soon.
Best wishes.