Have had freezing drink. Got cold with throat pain. No relief from coldact pill. What to do?

ENT Specialist
Hi I am 32 yrs old male. No health issues or allergies. I was not able to sleep for past two nights due to some emergency. Yesterday night I had a glass of butter milk from freeze. It was raining here for couple days so I feel I got cold. am having very bad pain and itching in my throat now since morning. No running nose but felt a little cough.I had one coldact pil in the morning and also tried gargles but no relief. Please suggest me some medicine for immediate relief. Thanks for your help.
Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 10 hours later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. You have developed a pharyngitis due to the sudden change in temperature and the freezing drink. 2. Cold temperature and liquids cause constriction of blood vessels and decrease the immunity. At the same time, viral multiplication increases due to favorable low temperature. 3. Get a prescription for an anti-allergic (such as cetirizine, fexofenadine or rupatidine). An anti-inflammatory (such as Combiflam) will help. A medicated gargle such as Tantum may be used. A dry cough mixture (such as Ascoril-D, Zedex or Reswas). These medications should be taken under strict medical supervision. 4. Turmeric (Haldi) in warm milk and honey based mixtures (such as Honitus) will help heal the throat faster. Steam inhalation will help. If there is no fever, antibiotics are unnecessary. 5. This type of Pharyngitis is likely to run it's course and immediate relief may only be possible in mild cases. Keep your self warm and well hydrated. Take adequate rest. I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be available to answer them. Regards.