Have had double ear infection and sore throat.Not cured by antibiotic. What should be done?

i had a double ear infection two weeks ago, along with a sore throat. took antibiotics, and nothing has changed for the better. Now the side of my face is tender, sore...has been for a few days. Today, it has progressed into my neck, then later, my shoulders and now down into my back. A co worker of my husband recently had mono.......could i have been exposed?
Posted Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist and I read your mail with diligence.
Let us see if you have mono:
Description of Mono infection:
mononucleosis (pronounced: mah-no-noo-klee-oh-sus), sometimes called "mono" or is an infection usually caused by the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV). EBV is very common, and many people have been exposed to the virus at some time in childhood. It is marked by sore throat and fever. That puts you a little older and with ear infection being not so common also does not favor this diagnosis. Swelling in your neck is infected lymph node.
Not everyone who is exposed to EBV develops the symptoms of mono, though. As with many viruses, it is possible to be exposed to and infected with EBV without becoming sick.People who have been infected with EBV will carry the virus for the rest of their lives — even if they never have any signs or symptoms of mono. People who do show symptoms of having mono probably will not get sick or have symptoms again. To me that does not appear to be the diagnosis in your case though with exposure I am not able to exclude with 100% confidence.
I urge you to see a doctor asap may be in ER if it is too late in the day, an infectious disease specialist will be called in. You will also be investigated for your immunity. The important thing is treatment will begin about which I find no mention in your mail. Good Luck.
I hope that answers your questions. Good luck.
If you have any more query I will be most happy to answer it.
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist & Internist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Have had double ear infection and sore throat.Not cured by antibiotic. What should be done? 4 minutes later
I have made an appointment with my family doctor today. infectious disease Dr? that doesnt sound good :-(
are these symptoms common in patients with menigitis?

Thanks for writing back with a very pertinent question.
First let me assure you it is not meningitis but middle ear infection can lead to meningitis if not treated.
Infection can be because of a Virus like EB Virus causing mononucleosis, bacteria causing typhoid, mycobacteria causing tuberculosis or fungus causing host of infections. So one of the achievements of Medical Science in last century is these infections became curable with antibiotics and chemotherapeutic agents. Yet, in developing countries they are still prevalent and at times de novo infections do arise in the developed world also. The important point is treatment is started after the doctor has fairly good idea what he/she is treating for. You did well to make the appointment and the doctor will take care of details. Best wishes.

Dr Anil Grover