Have had cyclic abdominal pain and irritable bowel movements. Feeling nausea. What is going on?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Have had cyclic abdominal pain especially on right side for almost five years. Severe abdominal bloating and gas that I can/can't pass. Doctors have had me on laxatives and fiber tablets for six weeks to help me have a bowl movement otherwise I have difficulty going and the pain gets worse. Severe right side pain upper and lower with some nausea. I have had a complete hysterectomy, appendectomy, and gall bladder removed. Just had a laparoscope to check for adhesions, obstructions, etc. with normal findings. Also, had colonoscopy with
diverticulosis found otherwise normal. Any suggestions on what may be going on?
Posted Fri, 27 Jul 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 16 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

It is unfortunate that you have been suffering from so many ailments

Your information points to Inflammatory Bowel disease may be secondary to diverticulosis

If the disease is wide spread you need to go for surgical removal of the segment as it can cause rupture of the diverticula some day

For your symptoms you need to take a ten day treatment of Ofloxacillin and Ornidazole twice a day along with A probiotic for four to six weeks

If there are upper gastrointestinal symptoms also you need to take a proton pump inhibitor in addition

Hope this helps
Am Available for followup queries
Wishing you a Speedy recovery