Have had courses of antibiotics for a blocked ear. Not painful but have plugged feeling. Suggest?

I have had 2 courses of antibiotics for a blocked left ear....not painful really now but just very blocked and plugged feeling still
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 42 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is possible that the persisting blocked sensation is related to eustachian tube dysfunction.

The eustachian tube is a passage way that links the middle ear to the nasopharynx (the uppermost part of the pharynx).
The eustachian tube has 3 main functions: it equalises the pressure between the middle ear and the atmosphere, protects the middle ear from secretions in the nasopharynx and it allows the middle ear to drain.

Partial or complete closure of the eustachian tube (eustachian tube dysfunction) can result in different symptoms including moderate or severe pain in the ear and a feeling of fullness in the ear and muffled sounds.

The most common cause of eustachian tube dysfunction is the common cold however it can also occur in allergic sinusitis, enlarged adenoids and recently a link has been found to GERD ( gastoesophageal reflux).Smoking is also associated with this condition.

It is treated by different methods including : (1)using techniques that require swallowing. This activates the muscles in the throat and help to reopen the tube. This means chewing gum,yawning, drinking
(2) try to reopen it by closing the nose and mouth and breathing out against this closure
(3) decongestants
(4) anti histamines if there are any allergy symptoms

I hope this help, feel free to ask any additional questions

Follow-up: Have had courses of antibiotics for a blocked ear. Not painful but have plugged feeling. Suggest? 12 minutes later
yes have tried decongestants, etc. and swallowing and blowing against closed nostrials and closed mouth but nothing seems to work so far....should I just finish the second course of antibiotics and then if not better (in 2 days) return to doc for further treatment I guess???.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 minutes later

Yes you can consider completely the course and returning to your doctor if the symptoms continue.

In persons that do not respond to normal course of treatment may sometimes require a procedure called myringotomy.
This is a procedure where a small incision is made into the ear drum to relieve any pressure and secretions

Please feel free to ask anything else