Ask a Urologist   »  

Have had chronic diarrhoea. Having back pain, increased heart rate, dizziness and sweating. Any advice?

Please see my 1st query for a history but basically I have had chronic diarreah for over 9 months. My general physc tried presc imodium, etc. nothing worked. I went to a gastro dr and had a upper GI and colonoscopy in January this year, all came back normal. Shortly after I had severe back pain, saw a ortho dr and diagnosed with degenerative discs having to have surgery. During that couple of months the abdominal pain and diarreah stopped, Dr. said it stopped because of the pain pills i was on then. Since getting off the pain meds the chronic diarreah is back and abdominal pain. Additionally ive had a couple of days with a low grade fever, nausea, vomitting. The pain is concentrated on my right side but does occur on left as well. The pain is constant severe cramping (all the time) above my pubic bone (almost like menstrual cramps but worse) and every so often (approx couple times an hour sometimes more sometimes less) I get a sharp stabbing pain in the area of my ovary (right side). Every once in a while I get a "prick" like pain (like a long needle pricking) under my right rib and to the lower right of my belly button. My heartrate seems to increase on occassion, i have had dizziness and sweating unlike i have ever experienced (although this seems to come and go).

I went back to the gastro dr a month ago because symptoms not improving, he didnt know why and prescribed and anti spasmodic, this did not help. I then went to my regular dr who did an ultrasound. The ultrasound came back abnormal saying they they thought it could be the tail of my pancreas and then issued a CT. I had the CT done and this was the reports final impressions:

1. colonic wall thickening of the distal ascending colon extending into the hepatic flexure without focal mass. This could be due to inflammatory bowel disease or other cause. Gastrointestinal tract in otherwise normal in appearance. In clinic notes which were provided, there was note made of a recent colonoscopy and would corredlate this finding with that exam.
2. No acute abdominal / pelvic abnormality. Normal appendix in right lower quadrant and the terminal ileum is normal in appearnace.
3. Normal pancreatic tail without pancreatic abnormality demonstrated.
4. Prior gastric bypass procedure and cholecystectomy.
5. Filling defects within the bladder on the delayed phase may reflect admixture of nonopacified urine and excreted contrast material; however, this should probably be confirmed by cystoscopy particularly thie filling defect at the right lateral bladder wall.
6. A small amount of free pelvic fluid likely physiologic in etiology.

I went back to gastro dr with this report and he is still not sure, he has put my on an antibiotic to see if that helps (5 days ago and no improvement).
I have been for my annual checkup (3 days ago) with my OBGYN, he did no tests but a physical only and read my CT report and says he feels this is not femal related.
I have made an appointment with a urologist based on my Dr.'s recommendation however I have not had a UTI or any issues urinating (that i can feel anyway) but the report and Dr's reaction to the bladder issues have me concerned.

Any ideas what all this means or could be?
Posted Tue, 7 Aug 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 2 hours later
Just to answer your query to the urologists - It is the CT scan which mentions that there are filling defects in the bladder, particularly the right lateral wall.
Under normal circumstances, if you have never noted any blood in urine, and have no voiding dysfunction, you would probably not be harboring any major urological illness. However, when you are meeting the urologist, he might ask you for urine cytology for malignancy and for whatever it is worth, a cystoscopy as has been suggested by the radiologist to rule out a bladder neoplasm. This is usually an office based procedure, and associated with minimal discomfort, and if there is no lesion in the bladder on cystoscopy, it is highly unlikely that you have major issue or that your symptoms are due to urinary bladder. So please do not get concerned unnecessarily.
Hope I have been of help. let me know if you have further issues, or after your visit to the urologist.