Have had breast cancer, ovaries removed and on menopause. Having painful sex. Is there anything to get cured?

Question
My question is a women's health one. I am 55 have had breast CA & as a result had my ovaries removed & so was thrust into menopause. Since them having sex has been painful. I've tried every lube avaialble witout sucess. Seems to be a problem with atrophrication. Is there anything I can use to rejuvinate the walls of my vagina or to streatch them GENTLY without injuring myself?
Posted Wed, 8 Aug 2012 in Women Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 15 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

I am sorry about your situation but I would also like to congratulate you on being a breast cancer survivor. You are right, this is definitely related to "vaginal atrophy" which is related to the removal of your ovaries. Obviously, you cannot be on estrogen, but here are some thoughts:

1. Some women can use a vaginal estrogen tablet called Vagifem - usually a 10mcg tablet placed vaginally 2-3 times per week. There is virtually no absorption of the estrogen, so this might be considered safe to use, even in the setting of your history - you would have to talk about this with your doctor
2. There is a longer acting lubricant called Replens made by KY. It is longer acting than the usual lubricants used with intercourse.
3. You can obtain a series of vaginal dilators from your GYN and I would strongly recommend that you ask about these
4. Combine the use of Replens with the dilators and you should see an improvement, it might just take a while

It has been a pleasure to help you. If you have more questions, please ask. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, IT IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR YOU TO ACCEPT SO THAT I RECEIVE CREDIT FOR THIS ANSWER. I APPRECIATE YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS. GOOD LUCK!