Have had abortion. Diagnosed with PCOD with PID. Is this a serious problem?

5 months ago i had an abortion through pills (5 weeks baby)
after that i had my pelvic ultrasound just to check that either any part is left inside or not. no part was found.
but in report it is written that free fluid is seen and impression was PCOD with PID and while collecting the report I was not able to consult my doctor.
At that time I didn't bothered about the report. My periods are almost regular. But now after going through the report I found it serious due to searching the web.
Should I consult to my doctor??
Is it a serious problem??
What is actually PCOD with PID?
Posted Mon, 22 Oct 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 45 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help.

1. PCOD is polycystic ovarian disease. It is a syndrome of irregular cycles related to insulin resistance (a pre-diabetic state). Most women are seen related to irregular cycles and infertility issues. This was just a comment on ultrasound and possibly not even a significant issue.

2. PID is pelvic inflammatory disease. It is an infection of the uterus and tubes. It is diagnosed usually as pelvic pain, pain on exam, and other signs of infection. Certainly you should undergo testing for STD's, as is recommended for anyone your age, but again, this just seems like a comment about the ultrasound images and NOT in the context of YOU, the patient.

So what I would recommend is that you schedule a visit with your doctor to discuss your cycles, birth control, and any concerns about STD's or the possibility of infection.

I hope this helps - DR XXXXXXX
Follow-up: Have had abortion. Diagnosed with PCOD with PID. Is this a serious problem? 3 hours later
ok.. thank u so much . But what is this STD and I have my regular periods.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 4 hours later
PID is not necessarily an STD. It is an infection that CAN be from gonorrhea or chlamydia, but can also just be from the normal bacteria present in the vagina.

This should be addressed with your doctor in terms of asking them to sit down and review the results together. Then it can be determined if you need screening or treatment.

Sometimes when an ultrasound is read, they will make guesses as to what is going on. Often this is without even seeing the patient - so the results are not really always relevant!

Good luck!!