Have had a smaller prolapsing hemorrhoid. Not getting proper motion. Treatment?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
About a month ago, I noticed that my stools were no longer circular but rectangular in cross section. A little later I then noticed that my anus seemed to be extruding something, that then retracted after the movement. Looking in the mirror, the extrusion is on 2 sides of my anus, but is NOT red, or bleeding or itching. In the past, I have had a smaller prolapsing hemmerhoid, e.g., pea-sized, that went away in a week or two.
I am a bit worried. What is the likelihood that this is not a prolapsing hemmerhoids, but rather a mucosal prolapsis or worse. Am I in immediate danger and in need of surgery? I am in MA USA, and my health insurance does not activate until April 1st; however, which specialist should I see in the interim which I could pay for myself. I am a physicist, so feel free to be a technical as needed. Thanks! XXXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in

The information you have provided is suggestive of prolapsed hemorrhoids as you have had a history of hemorrhoids earlier

It is very unlikely to predict if it is mucosa or not unless we examine you

You may not need to go for an immediate surgery, in the interim you may consult a good surgeon or a proctologist

Hope this helps
Wishing you a healthy life ahead
Do write back in case of concern

Follow-up: Have had a smaller prolapsing hemorrhoid. Not getting proper motion. Treatment? 5 minutes later
Dr. Kukreja,

In other words, is it more likely to be prolapsed hemmorrhoids than prolapsed mucosa? In the past, the hemm. was only on one side of the anus. This time, the swelling appears on both sides, and has radial indentations. Also, it is NOT bloody red in color. Whom should I consult, a protologist, color-rectal or gastroenterologis surgeon? Thanks!

Also, is a prolapsed mucosa rare in men my age?
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 7 minutes later

The probabilities are more

Yet there is some possibility that it may be a sentineal tag if it is not red and if you are not able to reduce it

If there is a proctologist in your area, best - else see a colorectal surgeon

No it is not very rare n men of your age but the history is different with lot of straining for long durations

Hope this clears your doubts
Do not hesitate to write back in you have doubts