Have had a sinus infection. Not cured by amoxiclav. Suffering from cough. Are they related?

ENT Specialist
Question
I have had a sinus infection for quite a long time. caused by a tooth abcess, tooth now gone. I have been given amoxiclav and have completed the course, but a week later the XXXXXXX discharge has returned. The bright XXXXXXX slime from my mouth has caused a bad cough and now I have itchy hands and was wondering if this is related. and what I should be thinking of doing next. My boss won't give me time to go to the docs at the moment
Hi, Should explain that I have had this since april. I have had a total of three courses of amoxiclav all with the same result.
Posted Tue, 20 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for the query

After going through your query, I feel you are suffering from chronic sinusitis secondary to the dental extraction.

As you have already taken amoxiclav and still having the slimy secretions, I would suggest you get a culture sensitivity of the secretions done to find out the type of organism present and the drug it is sensitive for.

Apart from this, you need to follow the instructions mentioned below:
1. Drink plenty of warm water
2. Do steam inhalation
3. Try taking mucolytic such as bromhexine or ambroxol
4. When you are free, get a CT scan of the paranasal sinuses to assess the extent of sinusitis and to rule out allergic fungal sinusitis.
5. Avoid smoking/chilled beverages/alcohol.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Have had a sinus infection. Not cured by amoxiclav. Suffering from cough. Are they related? 54 minutes later
Thanks for your answer. I really appreciate it.

Please could you let me know the consequenses if I ignore this. I am trying to balance taking time to go to the doctor and not, considering my job may be at risk if I go.

Thank you

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 21 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for writing back

If the sinusitis is severe enough, and unresolving, it can spread to the surrounding structures causing various other problems. But, this does not happen frequently with everyone.

Please follow my instructions, you will be definitely alright.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon