Have had a lump on arm. It got large, itchy red, warm and sore. Anything serious?

General Surgeon
I have had a lump on my upper front part of my arm for some time but until recently was not noticeable. I the last few weeks it has gotten larger and noticeable It is red and warm to touch slighly sore and a little itchy at times. Could this be serious?
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 19 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

The lump you describe is most likely a sebaceus cyst or lipoma. If this is in the area where clavicle meets the arm, enlarged lymph node is also possible.

Sebaceus cyst is a benign skin lesion. It contains whitish masses. Such lump is usually soft, round with smooth surface. In the beginning it is painless, however if get infected, pus accumulates in it and starts hurting. Skin gets red and tensed.

Lipoma is also a benign skin lesion. It is also soft and round. Usually does not cause any pain. Just grows gradually.

Enlarged lymph node is also possible. Most likely due to infection in this area or infection in the node. Such lymph node is a hard lump, movable and can be painful.

I suggest you to visit your doctor and have it checked. In case of any doubts, soft tissues ultrasound should be done.

If this is infected sebaceus cyst, small incision needs to be done and pus evacuated.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.