Have had CT of chest area. What are the findings?

Pulmonologist
Question
Hey Dr.

I just wanted to ask about my CT findings again. you mentioned that nothing major changed of CT. did you see a mention of minor change? So these findings on
Ct, they do seem consistent with some silica exposure? Is it possible that they can heal and go away? The thin strandy, and the reticular whatever that is?

Thanks,
Posted Mon, 2 Sep 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Observation is required

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up query. After going trhough your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. The reticular shadows at the lung bases are minor changes but they need to be observed. There is every chance that they may dissapear in due course of time.

2. The monitoring of lesion will only tell us regarding the relation with silica exposure. At present there relation can not be commented.

3. 2 year follow up is required. Do continue chest physiotherapy and the inhaled medications.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist
Replied by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra

Follow-up: Have had CT of chest area. What are the findings? 7 hours later
Hi Dr.

I does seem like from what i read that it is grade 0-1 silicosis?

I mentioned that I left my home after the incident. I stayed at a hotel in town here for sometime and then rented a bedroom in another town. it was not working out so i inquired at another hotel in that town and stayed there. I did not know but, there was trucks that drove by there hauling silica sand.

I was getting sicker and sicker and did not even realize why. Now i know why I was becoming more symptomatic and worrying. And all i wanted to do was heal up and stay away from the house until it got summer and aired out. I somehow managed to find the one wrong motel to stay at...

My Dr. keeps telling me that I have not had enough exposure for silicosis but it seems that damage has been done to my lungs, and my pft got worse from the first one. I had another pft last week and it was same as second, did not change.

Besides that I have been feeling better. I still have a fair amount of restriction, but not really any pain at least.

thanks,
Also, can the atelectasis posterior and thin strands on upper lobe heal with time and go away if they are silica related?

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Silica related fibrotic strands do not normally go

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up.

1. You had a a heavy exposure to silica dust for a short time.
2. Now you are symptomatically improving and that is the most important parameter.
3. The Posterior atelectasis changes are quiet minor and can go away in near future. However the pre existing fibrotic strand in the upper lobe (unlikely to be silica related) may remain in future.
4. However observation for a 2 year period is essential to predict the course of lesion. If the lesion is static during 2 year period then there is very less chance that it will progress in near future.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist
Replied by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra